Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Steak Gorgonzola Quesadillas

Contest: French's Cook Off 2009 - My own entry

I really thought this recipe had a chance. 1. It is trendy with the steak and Gorgonzola. 2. Quesadillas are always a hit. And 3. I thought it was very creative to make the quesadilla on the grill. But it didn't win. This was the first big contest I entered and it was a bit intimidating. I guess it was also a first for French's and by looks of a huge success for them, not so much for me. They received over 2,000 recipes and likely a million hits on their website. French's Marketing folks did a great internet campaign with this one. Voting was all on-line, they encouraged entries to make a YouTube video and you could link it to Facebook and probably Twitter, I didn't participate in that part. The contest had 20 finalist, 10 as judged by the French's people and 10 based on popular vote. The top recipes had over 20,000 votes! Who are these people!?! I thought I was doing good when I reached 100. Just like high school, I quickly realized I had no chance with the popular vote. I held out hope for this recipe, but got no response. I still like it.

Steak Gorgonzola Quesadillas

Ingredients:
1/4 cup FRENCH'S® Classic Worcestershire Sauce
2 cup FRENCH'S® French Fried Onions
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1.5 lb Flank Steak
1 cup Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
8 8 Inch Flour Tortillas
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Sour Cream
Directions:
Create a marinade with 1/4 cup French's Classic Worcestershire Sauce and 1/4 cup olive oil. Marinade meat while preparing grill and other items or overnight if time permits. Grill flank steak over medium flame. Approximately 5-7 minutes per side or until it reaches your preferred degree of done. Slice flank steak in angular cuts against the grain to create small strips of steak for quesadillas. Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on one side of 4 flour tortillas. Place tortillas, oiled side down, on grill over low heat. Immediately top tortillas with steak, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and French's French Fried Onions then top with another flour tortilla. Using pastry brush apply olive oil to top tortilla. This should take a few minutes, once complete flip quesadillas and close grill cover cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until tortillas are crisp and cheese has melted to sealed quesadillas together. Remove from grill. Repeat with remaining flour tortillas and ingredients. Slice quesadillas in half with pizza cutter and serve with a sour cream on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment