Monday, January 3, 2011

Dairy Free Snickerdoodles



Crisco!  I can just feed my child with dairy issues Crisco.  I knew they made sticks of Crisco for baking, but did not realize they have butter flavored Crisco sticks.  Genius!  The following recipe for Snickerdoodles was on the Crisco website.  I love Snickerdoodles, mostly because it is so fun to say.  I hope one day to name a pet Snickerdoodle.  I think I was introduced to these little balls of cinnamon goodness in my mid-20's, there are no childhood memories of this cookie, but I guarantee my kids will have many-a-good Snickerdoodle memory.   


Anyway, the cookies are simple and just the most perfect buttery treat.  The Crisco Snickerdoodle did not disappoint.  The cookies were slightly fuller or thicker than a butter only Snicker-D, but the flavor was still buttery and perfectly sugar spiced.  Also, you do not have to refrigerate the dough like a classic butter doodle.  This recipe will be repeated often.  


I have continues my experimenting with Crisco butter sticks and it seems to work well in most baked things when it is used in a solid form.  It does not melt like butter and was not good in Monkey Bread.  Will share any future success with this product, so far I am tickled pink to have found it!  


Crisco Snickerdoodles

Source:  Crisco website 

  • INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened (I used a 1/2 cup of the Crisco Butter Flavored Shortening)
  • 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
  • OR 1/2 Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • TOPPING
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 teaspoons cinnamon

HEAT oven to 400º F. Lightly spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Beat butter, shortening, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, until well blended.

  1. 2.
    COMBINE flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat flour mixture into shortening mixture at low speed until combined. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.

  2. 3.
    MIX 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll balls in sugar cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.

  3. 4.
    BAKE 6 to 7 minutes, or until cookies are puffed and crackled on top and the edges are set. The centers will be soft. Allow to cool 1 minute on baking sheet. Remove to cooling rack.


    A 1/2 stick of regular Crisco and a 1/2 stick of buttery Crisco.


    Dusting the dough with cinnamon sugar.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment