Friday, January 14, 2011

Cookie Week: Pine Cones or Hay Stack Cookies



We learned a little something at the Cookie Exchange, seems it depends on what part of the country you are from as to what you might call these little Chow Mein Noodle delights.  Colleen, the talented cookie attendee that made these, is from Maine; land of the deep woods and as such she made Pine Cone Cookies.  Now my friend Robin and I are from Texas and immediately yelled "You made Hay Stacks!  Yea!"   Who is right?  Who knows or cares, I love these little things.  I was first introduced to this fun little snack when living in the sorority house.  Our house mom made these all the time and I ate nearly a whole tray each time she did.  They are so simple and have my favorite combo of sweet and salty.  Whatever you call them, where ever you are from, this is a simple, fun and yummy treat.  Make some!

Pine Cone Cookies

6 oz. semi-sweet morsels
6 oz. butterscotch morsels
2 cups chow mein noodles
1 cup lightly salted peanuts

Melt morsels in double boiler, remove from heat, mix in noodles and peanuts until evenly covered.  Drop spoon size portions on wax paper lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until cooled.
Makes approx. 2 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. My mother in law informed me in Connecticut they are called "bird's nests".

    ReplyDelete