Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cookie Week: Italian Anise Cookies


Cookie Week continues with Tammi's Italian Anise Cookies.  I believe this is actually her grandmother's recipe.  When you put an Anise Cookie on the table you either get lovers or haters, there really is no in-between on the licorice-anise flavor.  Maybe it is because I am more on the hater side of the anise cookie that I found it very surprising the kids loved them.  They could not keep their little hands off this tray, they would shove past the Hersey Kiss cookies and every other yummy thing on the table to grab the anise cookies.  Guess we have some little anise lovers here, now I'll have to make them.  I am not a true hater, I can appreciate the anise cookie and I eat them whenever I find a tray of Italian cookies just to try them again to see if I can love them.  I can't love them, but I can eat one or two a year.  Tammi did an excellent job of perfectly executing these little Italian treats.  If you are an anise lover, make Tammi's cookies, you will be very happy indeed.  


Italian Anise Cookies

5 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ sticks butter
5-6 teaspoons of anise (depending on preference)
5 ¼ cups of flour
3 teaspoons+ baking powder

Melt butter, then cool
Mix eggs and sugar and beat
Add in baking powder and beat
Add in anise and beat
Sift flour into mixture slowly and beat

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes
Bake one batch at a time

Frosting
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
¼ cup milk




That Tammi is a cool cookie herself.  She showed up with this nifty cookie caddy carrying case.  Good job Tams!

No comments:

Post a Comment