Thursday, February 11, 2010

Uncle Bernie's Fish Soup

Contest: Gorton's Grilled Recipe Renovation, www.gortons.com

I learned to cook by closely following recipes. A rule breaker I am not, so I never swayed from the instructions even by a pinch. You can imagine how flustered and stressed I was when I started cooking with my artist uncles, Bernie and Joe. The Uncles are the very definition of Recipe Crashers, but they are also a great inspiration as I create new recipes. I swear, Joe can make a gourmet meal out of only condiments.

My first year in Boston I lived in The Uncles' basement and pretty much spent all my free time cooking in their fully equipped kitchen. We all gain a bit of weight that year and I learned that the meal will not be ruined by a little variation to the recipe. That did not stop me from totally freaking out when Bernie tried to add stewed tomatoes to my chicken fried steak, some things can't be varied. This is my Uncle Bernie's Fish Soup recipe, he swears he does not want any of the prize should I win this contest, he just wants his name on the recipe.

Challenge in this contest: Gorton's Grilled Fillets are all ready spiced and they each changed the soup and made it something different. Some flavors just didn't work well. The butter flavor was best with this simple broth recipe. The butter added a bit of depth to the soup. Hope the Gorton's folks like it.


Uncle Bernie's Fish Soup


3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Medium Onions chopped small
1 Carrot chopped small
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1/3 Cup Smooth Peanut Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 Packages (4 Fillets) Gorton's Roasted Garlic & Butter Grilled Tilapia Fillets
1/4 Cup Half & Half
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Cups Fresh Bean Sprouts
1 Cup Fresh Watercress

Melt butter over medium heat in large deep skillet. Add onions first, cook a few minutes then add the carrots. Cook vegetables for 5-6 minutes until soft and the onions are translucent. Whisk in the chicken broth, peanut butter and cayenne pepper. Bring to a slow boil then turn down to a simmer for about 8 minutes. Add 4 Gorton's Roasted Garlic & Butter Tilapia Fillets, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes till the fish is cooked/poached. Stir in half & half, then salt and pepper, simmer for additional 2 minutes.

To serve use 4 large shallow soup bowls. Place a big handful of fresh bean sprouts (about 1/2 cup) in the bottom of the bowl. Top the bean sprouts with a smaller handful of fresh watercress (about 1/4 cup. Place a single fillet in each bowl on top of vegetables then divide the broth between all four bowls. Enjoy!


Sauteed Veggies


Peanut butter and broth


Poach the Gorton's Tilapia Fillets


Fresh bean sprouts and watercress. Crunchy goodness!


And serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment