Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Focaccia Fish Cakes

Contest: Gorton's Grilled Recipe Renovation

I had to give my family a break tonight from recipe testing as we returned to a meal from "The Regular Rotation" as my husband calls it. That is actually how he rates new recipes, it gets either a simple "Good!" or "Ok, but not for The Regular Rotation". That is how I know it didn't work. I can also tell how bad a meal was by how many English muffins my husband eats later in the night. If the toaster oven is humming at 9pm, that means dinner was not up to par with "The Regular Rotation".

It has been a busy week of testing. This week I have been working with Bisquick and the Gorton's Grilled Fish. I also did a little Pillsbury experiment with sugar cookie dough, it didn't work out so well. But with every failure, comes inspiration for change, I plan another test with the cookie dough soon. I will share all my Pillsbury stuff in the future. Contesters are all very supportive people and are rarely dirty competitors, but I still am not posting any recipes or ideas until they have been submitted to the contests. Don't want anyone poaching my foods!

The following is something I came up with using the Gorton's Grilled Fish Fillets. Larger than crumb chunks of Focaccia bread give this fish cake a great texture. And you just can't go wrong with Panko for a great crispy and crunchy finish. Hope you enjoy!

Focaccia Fish Cakes

2 Gorton's All Natural Italian Herb Grilled Fillets (1 package)
3/4 Cup Stale Focaccia Bread cut into 1/2 inch crumbs
2 Eggs
3 Green Onions Chopped
1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
1 Tablespoon Romano Cheese
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Sauce
1/2 Cup Jarred Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon Italian Salad Dressing
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise

Microwave the 2 Gorton's All Natural Italian Herb Grilled Fillets on high for 5 minutes. Fish should be nearly cooked through. Chop the fish into small pieces and set aside to cool. In separate bowl mix Focaccia crumbs, eggs, onions, Parmesan Cheese, Romano Cheese and Parsley. Ensure the fish is now cool to touch, then mix it into the bowl. Create 8 fish cakes like you would a hamburger patty. Roll fish cakes in Panko bread crumbs until coated evenly.

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium/high heat. Add fish cakes and cook each side for about 5 minutes until golden brown on each side.

To prepare sauce, mix jarred tomato sauce, Italian salad dressing and mayonnaise till smooth.

Serve fish cakes topped with sauce. Enjoy!



I really need to get a better camera or lighting or something to create better food pictures. I have been shopping the discount racks for a few good display plates. My boring tan Crate and Barrel plates are not doing the dishes any favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment