Sunday, February 21, 2010

Golden Spaghetti Squash

Past contest entry: Star Flavors of the Mediterranean Recipe Contest

I thought I would share some recipes that have been entered and apparently lost, as I never got word from the sponsor. I keep saying I have only lost, but that is not exactly true. I did received a olive oil/vinegar decanter from Star, not because I had a good recipe, but because I followed directions properly and mailed my recipe in on time. Hey, I'll take anything and call it a win. Here is a nice picture of my one and only "prize" thus far.


My husband asked what kind of contest I had entered that sent me a bong as a prize.

Here is the recipe that "won" me my first "prize". I have always been intrigued and intimidated by spaghetti squash, however it turns out it is really easy to cook and takes to flavors very well. Maybe the most fun member of the squash family. Enjoy!


Golden Spaghetti Squash

2 whole spaghetti squash
2 tablespoon Star Olive Oil to rub squash
3 tablespoons Star Olive Oil (in skillet)
¼ cup diced red onion
2 cloves of garlic – pressed or minced
2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons Star Golden Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut both squash in 1/2 lengthwise and scoop out all seeds. Rub them inside and out with 2 tablespoons of Star Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper.

Place the squash cut side down on cookie sheet and cover with foil. Place in the oven and cook until the rind is slightly soft or gives with a little pressure, about 20-30 minutes. When they are done, scrape the meat out with a fork and reserve, keeping warm.

Heat 3 tablespoons of Star Olive Oil in large skillet over medium/high heat. Saute red onions and garlic in oil till soft, about 2 minutes. Add grape tomatoes cook till soft, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and rosemary then add the spaghetti squash and toss in the pan coating the squash with oil and herbs. Transfer to serving dish and drizzel with 2 tablespoons of Star Golden Balsamic Vinegar then top with crumbled feta cheese and cracked fresh pepper.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes total
Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment