Tuesday, July 13, 2010

CSA - Pesto




Presto! We have pesto! It is sooo easy to make. I used the whole batch in one recipe, but I have read in several magazines that you can put pesto in ice cube trays and freeze it. Use your little frozen pesto cubes in dishes throughout the year. I will be making a batch of pesto to freeze before the summer is up, it is suggested not to put cheese in your frozen pesto. You can actually make pesto out of any fresh herb. I saw a recipe for cilantro pesto. My cilantro plant is out of control and just blossomed buds this week, turning to coriander, time to chop it up and try some cilantro pesto.

Found the following chicken pesto orzo salad recipe on another blog. I needed a good dish to travel with and wanted to use up my fresh basil, this looked like a perfect match. Very simple and easy to make. It used the whole batch of pesto.

Simple Pesto
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oi
Chicken Pesto Orzo Salad
Source - lost the original blog I saw it on, but found so many variations all similar.

1 batch fresh basil pesto
1 lb orzo pasta cooked
2 chicken breast chopped and cooked
12 cherry or grape tomatoes quartered
2-3 tablespoons white vinegar
olive oil to moisten if necessary

Mix it all up, chill and serve! There are many variations and mix-ins including: asparagus spears, arugula, green beans, grilled shrimp, grilled summer squash.... you get the idea, the list goes on and on. Hmm wonder how kohlrabi would taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment