Monday, June 28, 2010

CSA - Kohlrabi


The kohlrabi did not get a vote of approval from the family. It is just kind of boring. Everyone told me it is like a turnip and we should cook it like one, so I started with a simple steamed kohlrabi side dish. Very bland. Also, when I described the size to my parents, they said these particular kohlrabies might be too big. Guess they should be small, tennis ball sized at the most, these are softball sized. Multiple people told me they would be woody. What kind of description is that? Turns out a good one. When they were steamed they were woody. There were small hard fibers in them that you kind of had to spit out. After the steamed kohlrabi got the axe, we didn't give up (mostly because there was still another one waiting), I tried it grated on salad, by far the best way to eat it. Looks like cheese on the salad but that is the kohlrabi. Gives it some crunch and the flavor is strongest this way. So far raw is best for kohlrabi.


Finally I tried baking sliced kohlrabi topped with Parmesan. I found this recipe several times when searching on-line and it was one of the suggested recipes by our CSA. It was not too impressive either, maybe I roasted it too long. I think I just haven't found the right recipe. There are many international dishes using it, but they required several ingredients I just didn't have handy. I wanted to try it in a simple form, but it seems it might be best in a heavy medley or just raw.

Baked Parmesan Kohlrabi

INGREDIENTS
4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions

Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
Cut the kohlrabi into 1/4 inch thick slices, then cut each of the slices in half. Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi slices in the olive oil mixture to coat. Spread kohlrabi in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally in order to brown evenly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven to allow the Parmesan cheese to brown, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment