Monday, December 13, 2010

Cinnamon Loaf French Toast



Is that the most beautiful bread?  Well maybe you could better enjoy it's beauty if the picture was taken with a fancy new camera that I might get for Christmas.  Think we are going to do it.  I need to improve my pictures to make my blog real.

Ok - crazy week ahead!  I hope to blog the crazy as it goes on, bear with me.  We have a kids Christmas party (cookies!), an Argentine Tango Wedding Reception (that I am the wedding coordinator for) and a Cookie Exchange (more cookies!).  Oh and today is my birthday!  Happy Birthday to me.  The wedding is clearly the big event of the week.  A close family friend was married in Spain last month, she is holding a reception in Cambridge this Saturday for 100 people.  I have been her wedding coordinator, organized the whole thing and this week is go time.  There will be a big blog post covering the whole event.


While finishing up the wedding cake order, I saw this loaf of bread waiting to be wrapped up on the counter at the bakery.  This was too good to pass up.  We ate half the loaf just sliced up, then I had to stop the slicing because I got the fabulous idea of making French Toast with what was left.  I love French Toast. I think it is the first thing I ever cooked.  I was quite the French Toast pro as a kid, every weekend I would whip up a batch with the grocery store white bread a few eggs and milk.  Such a simple  recipe and oh so good.  This beautiful braided cinnamon bread made perfect French Toast, no need to add cinnamon.  I used vanilla soy milk this time for my little "dairy" boy, didn't have a problem at all with it.  I also cooked his slices in the soy butter, came out crispy and perfect.

Cinnamon Loaf French Toast 

INGREDIENTS
8 slices of cinnamon bread
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk or soy milk
butter for the grill
powdered sugar for dusting
Maple syrup

Beat the eggs and milk in a shallow dish.  Soak the bread slices in the milk/egg batter, both sides, while the skillet gets hot over medium/high heat.  Melt a big pat of butter on the skillet.  Drop a sopping slice of bread on the skillet.  Cook a few minutes until golden brown.  Flip.  When perfect on both sides, drop the French Toast on a plate and top with Maple syrup.  Dust with powdered sugar.  Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment