Friday, September 10, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pineapple

CSA Cooking - Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pineapple
Source - LIFE Picture Cook Book from 1958


I found this cookbook at the old cabin we rented at Lake Winnipesaukee.  The cabin is over 100 years old and it seems every book that was ever read there is still there.  Every wall is lined with dusty old books.  I, of course, found the wall of cook books.  This is a Time Life cook book from 1958.  It was like literally turning a page back in time or watching Mad Men.  It is a wonder any of these people lived past the age of 50 considering what they ate!  All butter, fat and red meat.  The articles in the book were also very old school, Mad Men style.  They continue to refer to "the housewife" who prepares all meals as it is a women's job.  I actually wrote down a quote that cracked me up and made me realize how far we have come baby!

"American housewife will not bother with fish, even if she can get it in time for dinner.  She would rather serve chicken or anything else.  This is culinary ignorance and bad economy"  Life Picture Cook Book 1958

Wow - ignorant and bad economy!  Below is a picture of a typical American dinner party.



You know, everyone has an open flame hibachi in the living room.  And I love that the "housewife" is sitting so elegantly next to a hunk of meat and gazing admiringly at her husband as he grills.  Oh dear!

Anyway, I jotted down a few recipes from this book that I thought might be getting lost in our current culinary world.  There were so many good old classics my grandmothers made like Ambrosia salad and good old fashioned roasts.   I thought this acorn squash sounded cool.  It was good, but not mind blowing fabulous.  We had it with pork chops and it actually made a nice topping on the pork.

Stay tuned, I am not done with this book, someday I am going to make French Fried Deviled Eggs.  It sounds so gross I just have to make it!  I'll have to wait till I'm in Texas, only my sister could appreciate that recipe with me.

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pineapple
INGREDIENTS
3 Acorn Squash
1/2 Cup crushed pineapple, drained
2 Tablespoons dry Sherry
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
6 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the acorn squash in half and clean out the seeds. Place the acorn squash halves on a greased baking sheet.  Place in each acorn squash half 1 teaspoon of each; butter, Sherry and brown sugar.  Bake 30 minutes.  Remove and let cool so you can handle them.  Once they are cool enough to handle, pour the liquid into a big bowl and scoop out the flesh of the acorn squash into that bowl.  Leave about a 1/4 inch of flesh on the shell to maintain a solid shell.  Add to the bowl of pulp, 4 tablespoons of butter (I omitted this as it seemed like it had enough), crushed pineapple, nutmeg and salt.  Mash this together like potatoes.  Spoon the mashed squash back into the shells, place back on baking sheet and bake for an additional 15 minutes at 415 degrees.  Serve in shells!


Ready to go in the oven for roast #1.  Butter, Sherry and brown sugar.


A few empty shells and a stuffed squash.  As always, I didn't get an after shot as they exited the oven because my family is too impatient once dinner is ready.  They went straight from the oven to the table, no time for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment