Monday, August 23, 2010

Zucchini Bread


Zucchini Bread is probably the most popular food blog post this month.  Every food blog I read has some kind of recent zucchini bread post.  I hate to be like everyone else, but I just can't pass up the chance to make and share zucchini bread.  Of all the breakfast type breads or muffins, zucchini is my favorite!  I never miss the chance to make it when the zucchinis are cheap, fresh or given to me.  I was intrigued by the variety of breads out there on the blogs.  Lots of chocolate zucchini breads, hmmm.  I went super simple and classic.  This recipe is a combination of many recipes. This bread is non-dairy and no nuts this year for my little allergy boy, I really didn't miss either the bread was still moist and delicious.  Since I had fresh ginger on hand we threw it in, made the bread extra spicy.  The boys loved it!  I used this bread as my bride for the week, this was the "treat" they got for good behavior and it worked!

Zucchini Bread
Combination of several recipes found
Yield: 2 loaves

3 eggs
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2+ cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger root
dash of nutmeg
dash of ground clove
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.  I use the Bakers Joy spray.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
Combine flour, cinnamon, fresh ginger nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt and dashes of nutmeg and clove..
Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.
Bake loaves for about 60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool and serve warm with butter.  I also love it toasted in the morning with butter.  Yum!!!


 Use a box grater to get perfect pieces of zucchini for your bread.  In the ingredients I list 2+ cups of zucchini.  I like to taste the zucchini in the bread so I fill my Pyrex 2 cupper up to the top, it is probably almost 3 cups.  You can't have too much zucchini in a zucchini bread - that's my opinion.

Baking away!  I sliced into my breads too quickly after they were done to actually get a pretty after shot.  Oops.  We just had to eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment